Alternate Names for Informal Credit
While the GDRC takes a "neutral" view of informal credit markets (ICMs) and highlights both its positive and negative aspects, literature reviews show a more diverse range of alternate names for the sector.
Informal Credit is known by different names in different countries. The particular name used actually reflects the attitudes and policy outlooks of that country, ranging from supportive to neutral to hostile. They also indicate the wide range of supplier types that can be found in the ICM.
If you have any suggestions or additions to the list above, please do send an email to the address listed below.
- Informal Credit Market - ADB, PIDS
- Informal Financial Sector - Chandravarkar/SEACEM
- Unorganized Money Market - SEACEM, Gopal Karkal
- Non-Institutional Credit - Reserve Bank of India
- Informal Financial Markets - USAID, World Bank, BIDS
- Black Money - Reserve Bank of India
- Indigenous Banking Sector - Bouman, Bhargawa, Jain
- Traditional Financial Sector -
- Parallel Money Markets - Das-gupta
- Unorganized Financial Sector - Park, World Bank
- Unregulated Banking System - Nayar, IFMAR
- Underground Money Markets - Far Eastern Economic Review
Return to the Documents Section
Hari Srinivas - email@example.com
Return to the Virtual Library on Microcredit