Characteristics of financial Services that meet Women's needs
- Loans are available for trade and services as well as manufacturing.
- Collateral is not required because substitutes such as solidarity groups, character references, jewellery and personal effects are acceptable.
- Deposit services are offered.
- Loans are available for short-term working capital.
- Loans are available in small amounts.
- Loan repayment schedules fit women's business cycles.
- Loan sizes may be increased upon satisfactory repayment of first-time loans.
- Micro-enterprises with few employees are eligible.
- Signature of spouse or male relative is not required.
- Literacy is not a requirement.
- Loans are easily and quickly processed.
- Loan officers can assist women in completing forms.
- Loans are given to home-based or ambulant businesses.
- Location is convenient and safe for women.
- The hours of operation of the institution are compatible with women's business and domestic obligations.
- Training is not required for disbursement of credit.
- There are special arrangement to assist women borrowers unfamiliar with formal financial service institutions.
Hari Srinivas - firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to the Improving Women's Access to Credit Page
Return to the Virtual Library on Microcredit