- Develop a media resource inventory.
- Design an overall media plan.
- Outline how your organization can benefit the media resource and vice versa.
- Decide what types of coverage will you be interested in (e.g. talk shows or features stories on a news program).
- Make contact with the right people.
- Designate a media specialist(s) in your coalition who will be the main contact person(s) for your coalition.
- Find out who are the key people in Radio/TV and Newspaper.
- Write a letter of introduction.
- Keep an organized record of all contact and coverage.
- Keep a record of all media contacts in your community.
- Collect or record all coverage of your coalition activities and cancer issues by the media.
Adapted from Working with Media Gatekeepers in the How to Guides on Community Health Promotion