1. Do be proactive in your dealings with the news media.
2. Do be aware of lead times.
3. Do send (fax if possible) your announcement to appropriate news media.
4. Don't send out your news release and forget about it.
5. Don't call an editor or reporter when they are on a deadline.
6. Do be available when a reporter calls.
7. Do tell the news media why your release is important to their readers and viewers.
Source: Pam Thompson, PR Newswire. Excerpted from The Northern Appalachia Leadership Initiative on Cancer Media Kit.