More than 1 month prior to campaign*
- Organize media lists: contact names, titles, address, phone.
- Develop media campaign strategies: message, target audience, media to use, alternative media ideas, partners, events, etc.
4 - 8 weeks prior to campaign*
- Call media to update contact list and alert them about upcoming campaign.
- Write press releases, media advisory, psa's, other materials
2-6 weeks prior*
- Send press releases and public service announcements to media. (note: if mailing to a monthly publication, such as organizational newsletters or magazines, send press release at least 4 weeks in advance of publication)
1-4 weeks prior*
- Send media advisory to request coverage for specific events.
- Flyers, posters, and other alternative media distributed.
1 week prior
- Follow-up phone calls to media about press releases and media advisories
* The earlier the better!
Source: http://www.pabcerf.psu.edu/ -- Click on "Technical Assistance and Education Component" and then on to 'Marketing Ideas'