The Ten Most Common Reasons Grants are Declined
- "The organization does not meet our
Research before applying.
- "The organization is not located in our
geographic area of funding."
Get the guidelines before applying/at least check the grants guide.
- "The proposal does not follow our prescribed
Read the application information very carefully and follow it exactly.
- "The proposal is poorly written and difficult to
Have friends and experienced people critique the grant.
- "The proposed budget and grant request is not
within our funding range."
Look at average size of grants of the funder.
- "We dont know these peopleare they
Set up an interview before submitting the proposal and have board members and other funded
organizations give you credibility.
- "The proposal doesnt seem urgentand
Im not sure it will have an impact."
Study the priorities and have a skilled writer do this section to make it "grab"
- "The objectives and plan of action of the project
greatly exceed the budget and timelines for implementation."
Be realistic about the programs and budgetsonly promise what can realistically be
delivered for the amount requested.
- "Weve allocated all the money for this
Dont take this personally. It is a fact of life. Try the next available
Source: Grant Guides Plus, Inc.
- "There is insufficient evidence that the program
will become self-sufficient and sustain itself after the grant is completed."
Add a section to the proposal on plans for sufficiency and develop a long-term strategy.
Return to the NGO Page
Comments and suggestions:
Hari Srinivas - firstname.lastname@example.org