|Coastal/ocean users - eg. fisheries, tourism development and recreation, aquaculture, military, shipping and port operations, mining, subsistence activities, and offshore oil operations
- Articulate their special needs and concerns regarding coastal ocean space and resources
- Ensure stewardship of coastal ocean space and resources.
|Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) - eg. women's organizations, religious groups, local and international environmental NGOs, and youth groups
- Organize the community
- Work with citizens to assess their main priorities and needs
- Conduct community education programmes
- Provide feedback to government agencies
- Monitor and manage resources
- Act as public advocates
- Provide extensive loal knowledge about the quality and quantity of coastal resources and trends in their use.
- Ensure stewardship of land and special habitats
- Avoid erosion, floods and disasters.
|Businesses situated in or near coastal areas
- Provide capital for development projects, facilities, and equipment
- Provide investments that elad to employment opportunities
- Pay taxes that can be used to help finance coastal management.
|Users of coastal and upland resources - eg. agriculturists, foresters, loggers, and miners.
- Adopt sustainable, environmental benign soil management and water allocation practices.
|Universities, scientific institutions, and other educational entities
- Raise public awareness through outreach activities
- Provide data and information for making informed management decisions
- Develop special education and training programmes at all levels.
- Serve as advocates for rational, scientifically based management of ocean and coastal resources.