Supported by over 700 employees, Bina Swadaya is
one of the biggest NGOs in Indonesia. "Bina Swadaya"
(acronym of Badan Pengembangan Swadaya Masyarakat
= Community Self-Reliance Development Agency) is a
people-centered development agency managing a number
of services oriented towards the development of self-reliant communities.
Its activities on self-reliant communities development
date back to 1958, when the Pancasila Farmers Association (Ikaten Petani Pancasila, IPP) was founded. In 1987,
this grass-root oriented association established a Peasant Socio-economic Development Foundation (Yayasan
Sosial Tani Membangun, YSTM) to manage IPP's
projects including the publication of Trubus Agricultural
Magazine. YSTM activities cover the development of Self-
Help Groupa (Kelompok Usaha Bersama, KUB), the promotion of micro enterprises, capital formation, and the
training for facilitators of self-help groups.
Since 1084, due to government regulation on press
publications, YSTM continued publishing Trubus Magazine,
whereas all other activities were transferred to the newly
founded Bina Swadaya Foundation.
- Bina Swadaya is based on Pancasila (The Five
Founding Principles of the Republic of Indonesia: Belief in
the One Supreme God, Just and Civilised Humanity, The
Unity of Indonesia, Democracy led by the Wisdom of Deliberations among Representatives, Social Justice for the
Whole of the People of Indonesia).
To increase society's self-reliance, particularly the
lower grass-root strata, based on the principles of openness, solidarity and social justice as part of respect towards human values and dignity.
- To help society in developing human resources, institutions, and people's economy.
- To strive for development policies which are conducive
to the development of people's economy.
- To bridge the gap in the socio-economic Weld of society in order to achieve a more just structural balance of society.
- To enhance self-reliant groups in society.
- To share information for development.
- To develop constructive cooperation with government,
NGOs and business world in and outside the country.
The complexity of problems arising in the community
needs a comprehensive answer. Therefore, the working
program of Bina Swadaya is specified into operational
programs and supporting programs.
- Operational Programs:
- Education and Training
- Promotion of Women in Development
- Microfinance Development
- Micro Enterprise Development
- Social Forestry Development
- Sustainable Agriculture Development
- Integrated Irrigation Development
- Health and Environment Development
- Agribusiness Development
- Magazine Publication
- Book Publication
- Printing House
- Alternative Tourism
- Policy Dialogue
- Poverty Alleviation
- Supporting Programs:
- Management Development
- Human Resources Development
- Financial Development
- Partnership in Development
- Financial Sources:
- Self-Finance: 97 %
- Funding Aids: 3 %
- Total budget for 1996: US$20 million
- Contact Address:
Jalan Gunung Sahari III/7
Jakarta Pusat 10610
Tel: 021-420-4402 / 021-425-5354
Hari Srinivas - email@example.com
Return to the Indonesia Page
Return to the Virtual Library on Microcredit